Monday, April 02, 2007

Battlestar Withdrawals and New Music

Battlestar Galactica ended its season until next year but it took me until last night when my Tivo didn't record a new episode for it to fully sink in. This is seriously one of the best shows on TV. I say one of the best because I couldn't decide between it and 24, otherwise it would be the best. And now I have to wait a full year until 2008 before the next season starts.

But there is some good news. The last 10 minutes of the season finale were simply awesome. It was filled with unexpected plot twists, impending doom, bringing people back from the dead, and more cliff hangers than you can shake a stick at, but wait there's more.

It also had one of the coolest renditions of Bob Dylan's All Along The Watchtower cutting in and out with lines from the song mixed into the dialogue and plot. The new arrangement was done by Bear McCreary, who scores the show, and his cousin sings the lyrics. And I have to wait until August before it will be released on a soundtrack. (The marketing guys should have had this ready to go, but oh well.)

So instead of getting the version I wanted, I went to Napster (not an illegal music site for many years, despite the out of touch with reality Rosie O'Donnell's assertions on her new show "Believe Everything That Spews From My Mouth and No One Gets Hurt") to find a similar version.

It turns out to be covered by quite a few bands but almost all of them took the Jimmy Hendrix route instead of an original one. Surprisingly, Bob's original version was the closest, so I jumped on over to Pandora.com and built myself a Bob Dylan channel (yes even I can't believe I didn't already have one).

But here's the cool part. Up pops this band that I've never heard of before called the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, and they're awesome. So I went back to Napster and downloaded all their songs. So the good news is I found a new band and with Tivo's "don't delete until I tell you to" feature I can replay the end of Battlestar until August, when I can get my hands on that song.

(Lack of links are due to the late hour. But you're smart people Google's just around the corner.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I concur.