Thursday, October 26, 2006

A Laundry So Foul

A couple of days ago, I grabbed all of my work clothes and threw them in the washer and then watched some TV and went to bed. In the morning I realized that I'd forgotten to dry them and hurriedly put them in the dryer hoping I wouldn't be late to work.

I get to work a little late anyway, and sit at my desk and notice , Mary, who sits at the desk next to me, is running late as well. So I start working and after a few minutes I notice this stench coming from somewhere. The first place I check is the round file, suspecting some one's lunch from the day before is in there moldering, but the maintenance guy did his job and the only smell is a fresh plastic bag.

At this point, Mary comes in and I stop my search to say hi to her and then get back to work. Minutes later I notice the stench again and start looking around for the culprit. I want to ask Mary if she smells anything but I don't want her to think I'm talking about her, so I don't.

After sniffing around a bit, I realize the smell is following me, then I realize that it is me. It's my clothes! I knew I should have rewashed them!

So now, I start worrying, wondering if Mary can smell me. She's only a few feet away. She has to smell me. She's probably just being polite.

Maybe I should go home and change. But I washed all my work clothes, and that would take at least two hours to wash and dry everything again. Should I go home? Should I stay? Can Mary smell me?

Then She blows her nose. A spark goes off in my head.

"So, uh... do you have a cold or something?" I ask, trying to be nonchalant.

"Yeah, I can't breathe." Mary says.

"So, uh... you can't smell anything?" I ask.

"No, I can't smell anything." she says.

"Oh that sucks!" I reply.

Now if only I couldn't smell anything.

(Names have been changed to protect the guilty.)

Oh yeah, and my clothes did keep their date that night with the washer and dryer.

No comments: