Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Forger vs. Gleaner

The idea is that people fall into one or the other categories.

Forgers like to come up with the big ideas and and then press on to new things not spending time to tweak it into perfection. If they are mining a hill for jewels they blow a hole in the ground grab all the big jewels and then move on to make another hole. They have the attitude of "I did it, it's done, now what's next?"

Whereas a gleaner like to sift through the ruble looking for the smallest jewel after all the big ones have been removed. They are happy to do the same thing over and over, finding new small ways to make it better and more efficient. They have the attitude of "Hey that was great, but I bet if I just changed this little thing it would be better. Let's do that again!"

I read about this theory, years ago, in Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson and its been sitting in the back of my mind for a while.

I've come to the conclusion that for the most part I'm a forger but I have a little gleaner in me. Basically I like to learn new things and can even do the same job for a while but if something new to learn or do doesn't come along, I become really depressed and frustrated and begin to look for a way out.

I wonder which category the majority of people would fall into?

No comments: