Monday, March 26, 2007

Road Trip Cancelled

I was supposed to go on a trip to Yellowstone this weekend but then we found out that it wasn't open this time of year. So with plans dashed, I decided to stay home and accomplish something. Only nothing much got done.

No paintings, no drawings, no photographs.

I think my subconscious was in vacation mode and was going to make me take a mental one, even if I couldn't go anywhere physically. I guess it was time to recharge the batteries.

But I still feel this pressure like I should have done something. I always feel like I am falling behind and not able to keep up and that if I slow down the world will pass me by and not be too kind as it tramples me with elephantine feet.

I start to compare my accomplishments with those of the past like Benjamin Franklin, Pablo Picasso, and Mozart. They all seem to have accomplished great things, many more than people of today seem to. Many more than I seem to be able to.

I think sometimes that taking a break, whether by choice or not, is probably a good thing. I bet the giants of the past took breaks, but no one writes about them in history books. Recharging the batteries isn't very exciting, but I think it is probably necessary.

Now if only I could figure out how to stop the nagging in my head that I'm not doing enough.

No comments: