Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Red Disassociated

Yay! Finally a colored pencil drawing that I like. I was at the art store a while back and bought a colorless blending pencil. I was unsure if I wanted to use it since I didn't know what it would do, but I decided to try it out and I have to say I really like it.

It allows you to push down the tooth of the paper so you get a more complete coverage of color and at the same time you can use it for gradient techniques that give you a more painterly feel.

I like this so much I think I might do a painting of it, or something similar. We'll have to wait and see.

P.S. All these drawings look about 10 times better in person. Scanners use reflected light on an angle that bounces into the sensor. The light reflects off the side of the tiny ridges of the paper, which means, there is more of the paper showing through than you would see with your own eye, making the colors less intense. I think I might start taking photos of them instead of scanning them.

No comments: